In March 2014 we will begin building our own home. We've been fortunate to spend the past year at the Akademie Schloss Solitude, an interdisciplinary residency where conversations with architects, artists, friends, and family have led to a collaborative project with four elements:
- a walk across Texas from Galveston Island to our homesite in Marfa
- a series of photographs taken during the walk
- a book that explores travel, collaboration, and architecture
- an experiment in building that will result in a house
This website will be a record of our work and a place where others might participate in its making. Pre-orders of photographs and the book will help us tremendously. Thank you for your interest.
—Lynn Xu and Joshua Edwards
* If you read Chinese and are wondering why, in the image above, the character for island (岛 / dăo) designates Marfa and the character for home (家 / jiā) designates Galveston, instead of the other way around, it's because we like how the sound of the two in this order (岛家 / dăo jiā) is a near-homophone for homecoming (到家 / dào jiā) that also evokes anchorage.